EAST AYRSHIRE COUNCIL PARALEGAL – CONTRACTS AND CONVEYANCING
Job title : Paralegal – Contracts and Conveyancing
Responsible to : Team Leader – Contracts and Conveyancing
Department : Corporate Support
Section : Legal, Procurement and Regulatory Services
Salary Scale : G7
Workplace : Council Headquarters, London Road, Kilmarnock
Job Outline: Working within East Ayrshire Council’s Contracts and Conveyancing Team, you
will be integral to a project auditing Council’s titles with a view to identifying
‘common good’ land. You will be responsible for examining titles, considering
legislation, carrying out some historical investigation and reporting your findings
to a dedicated Common Good Working Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To support the Team Leader, Contracts and Conveyancing in the implementation
of a project to identify, classify and catalogue Common Good Land in East
2. To assist the Team Leader, Contracts and Conveyancing in the examination and
noting of Council Titles.
3. To assist the Team Leader, Contracts and Conveyancing in investigating and
establishing the historical use of Council land.
4. To assist the Team Leader, Contracts and Conveyancing in framing and issuing
reports to the Common Good Working Group.
5. To prepare Reports on Title in respect of each Title Area examined.
6. To populate, update and maintain the Council’s Common Good Database.
7. To respond to queries from Elected Members and Council Departments regarding
Common Good matters.
8. To complete the examination of Common Good Titles and Reports within
9. To maintain an effective knowledge and awareness of professional developments
in the areas of the Conveyancing.
10. To carry out any other duties as directed by the Head of Legal, Procurement and
Regulatory Services, Legal Manager and Team Leader, Contracts and
This description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibilities associated with this job. It is not
exhaustive and the job holder will be required to undertake other duties and responsibilities
commensurate with the grade.
EAST AYRSHIRE COUNCIL
POST OF: PARALEGAL DEPARTMENT:
The minimum acceptable levels for safe and
effective job performance
The attributes of the ideal candidate
Paralegal Qualification in Conveyancing
and/or Law Degree /Diploma in Legal
Knowledge and experience of
Conveyancing practice and procedures
Research and Investigation
Understanding of Sasine Titles
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word,
Excel, Outlook and Access.
Organisation and administrative skills
Able to work on own initiative
Able to work to deadlines
Attention to detail.
Good problem solving skills.
Excellent written and oral communication
Ability to work alone with minimum
Prepared by: Gordon Anderson
Designation; Asst. Team Leader
Date: 15 March 2010
IF THIS JOB IS NOT SUITABLE FOR JOB SHARING, PLEASE
Approved by: Stuart McCall
Designation: Legal Manager
Date 16 March 2010